"If you are someone who still carries hope in your heart, kindness in your eyes and generosity in your fingertips despite terrible people happening to you, thank you. You are one of the few truly pure things left in this world, and you deserve to be protected."
- Nikita Gill
affectionate, gentle, warm, concern, care
characteristics that can be shown to those you love or complete strangers; treating others in a way that makes them feel seen and appreciated, spreading joy and bringing people together
From a young age, I have strongly believed that "you never know what someone is going through, so be kind". There are 7.8 billion people on this earth and each one of them has their own story, their own struggles, and they are most likely their own biggest critic. Why make their day worse when you can make it better? Spread a smile, a laugh, some empathy or compassion - spread some love so that we can make this world a better place!
here are some quick facts on kindness (with science to back it):
- the love hormone
- blood pressure
some ideas of random acts of kindness:
- write a letter to loved one, a neighbor, a local business owner, anyone who you think may need a smile (my favorite thing about a hand written letter is that it doesn't just make you smile when you receive it but also each time you find it again over the years)
- compliment a stranger - most times, you are thinking some kind things in your head - "I love their freckles", "that person has killer style"... say it aloud & make their day!
- say "thank you" & mean it!! - sometimes all people need is a little gratitude!
- hold the door open for someone
- help someone who needs it - offer to deliver groceries to some high risk loved ones or neighbors
- let that poor soul merge into traffic - give them a soft smile and wave them into the party (if you're in Atlanta - come on, it's not like the traffic is moving anyway)
- speaking of being stuck in traffic..... call a friend you haven't spoken to in a while! ask them how they are, how they are coping with things, how their loved ones are doing
- buy a stranger a cup of coffee (maybe a pastry too!!)
- write a stranger a note - STORY TIME... Once I grabbed food for my entire family when they were in the hospital after my niece was born. I was not the easiest customer as my family kept calling and changing their minds/adding things in the middle of me ordering.... I thought gosh im being a pain. when I arrived at the hospital I realized that the girl taking my order had added a cookie to our bag and written a sweet note saying "congrats on the new baby!!" the smallest thing, just a note, but it made our entire family so happy just to receive a piece of kindness and love from a complete stranger!)
- simply ask someone how they are doing
- here is the easiest/smallest act of kindness that can make a world of a difference... SMILE.
Smile at the person handing you your coffee, passing you on the street, sitting in the car next to you, anyone and everyone - you never know what day they've had and just how much a smile could mean to them.
Spread an act of kindness today - no matter how small.